 Administrative / NNTP / 1386
Re: Important message for people connecting via NNTP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 10:45:09 GMT

Additionally (assuming that port 119 is permanently turned off) it
would be a good idea to change "Setting up a newsreader" in
http://news.lugnet.com/news/
to de-emphasize port 119 and possibly provide links for how to use
a non-default nntp port in various newsreaders (it required some
Googling for me to figure out how to configure Pine).

If the problem has gone away, is it possible to re-enable the port? I don't seem
to be able to use the alternate ports, probably because of my organisation's
firewall.

Kerry