 Administrative / NNTP / 1302
Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 00:09:51 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman wrote:
Hmm...maybe

isn't the right thing to set.  I didn't expect it to confuse NNTP clients...
but now that you mention it, it makes sense.  If it instead said

what do you think would be a good header to set in order to signify the FTX
content?

OK, I can think of four different RFC-2045 compliant workarounds:

1.  Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" (FTX)

2.  Content-Type: text/plain (FTX); charset="ISO-8859-1"

3.  Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"; x-ftx=1.0

4.  X-FTX-Version: 1.0

The first one seems klugey (although valid) because it's putting a machine-
readable token in a comment.  The second one seems risky, because I'll bet
there are some dumb clients out there that would get confused by that.  The
third one should be fine.  The fourth one seems the safest all-around.  If
the MIME content type isn't going to be "text/x-ftx", then I don't see any
need to play games with the 'Content-Type' header...might as well use a
separate one.  Your thoughts?

--Todd