 Administrative / NNTP / 1301
Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 23:32:07 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Dan Boger wrote:
well - it'll display (btw, I got text/x-ftx to display too - mutt
rocks)...  but it won't "signify" anything but a plain text message.

OK, that's fine.  It's supposed to be readable as raw ASCII in newsreaders.

And considering that some of the FTX chars are NOT plain text,

I'm not sure what you mean.  Plain text doesn't imply assumptions about
character sets.  You can have UTF8 or US-ASCII or ISO-8859-1 all in plain
text. All of the FTX characters are within ISO-8859-1 and therefore all are
plain text when the header

is used.

it'll be a lie.  I think the best solution would be to have a FTX to text
filter, (maybe two way?)

A filter could only be unidirectional, because an FTX-to-text filter would be
lossy.

so that email clients (and NNTP) would really get plain text, that they can
understand.

I think I'm going to set a different header and that'll solve the problem of
news and mail clients getting confused about the MIME type "text/x-ftx".

--Todd