 Administrative / NNTP / 1296
Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 18:07:18 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman wrote:
It's technically impossible, of course, to detect what a signature is.  If you
go by internet standards, then the line "-- " (that's two hyphens followed by a
single space, followed by a newline character) is a standard signature delimiter
-- and everything below that line is the signature.  (The web interface here
observes this standard, BTW, and clips the signature automatically when you
reply.)

Yeah, that's what I had remembered-- that Lugnet picked up on signatures at
least when they adhered to the standard. I've never been one to take specific
notice, but I was under the impression that most readers would automatically
prepend "-- \n" to your signature... Guess there's no way to guarantee it
though, and it sounds like that's not really even all that common? Oh well.

DaveE