 Administrative / General / 920
  Picky, Picky Web Posting

Todd, Did you realize your "approved poster" database is case-sensitive? I was posting just know and was too lazy to press the shift key to cap. my name, and boom! Post Rejected! I was so embarrased! -john van (26 years ago, 24-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Picky, Picky Web Posting

(...) Yes, it's case-sensitive on purpose. (...) Don't you have your info stored in a cookie? --Todd (26 years ago, 24-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Picky, Picky Web Posting

Todd Lehman wrote in message <36ab3979.159058261@...et.com>... (...) name, (...) No, I've always used a news reader to post, but when I finally noticed the web posting I wanted to try it out just so I'd know how if I was at a computer without a (...) (26 years ago, 24-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Picky, Picky Web Posting

(...) I don't pay much attention to cookies, but it was my understanding that they are stored locally, on the user's machine. If so, couldn't somebody whip up a simple little "cookie jar" program to help people transport cookies from their work (...) (26 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Picky, Picky Web Posting

Also sprach Mike Stanley: : If so, couldn't somebody whip up a simple little "cookie jar" program : to help people transport cookies from their work machines to their : home machines? I know I find myself in John's position all the time, : with one (...) (26 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Picky, Picky Web Posting

(...) So I could just (for netscape) copy cookies.txt around from machine to machine? Hmmm... I could probably use this to let my wife and I "log on" to the same browser and retain our separate identities. I would assume that you would need to exit (...) (26 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Picky, Picky Web Posting

(...) Right, but surely some competent program could make a little utility to reach out and grab your cookies.txt file and throw it onto a disk. I'm assuming it would take more than a simple copy process - maybe changing machine names or something. (...) (26 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Picky, Picky Web Posting

(...) What you need is a little program called notepad. Or heck, vi or emacs. (vi/emacs religious debates follow-ups go to off-topic.debate..) copy the file cookies.txt (assuming netscape, here) from your netscape dirtectory to a floppie. take home. (...) (26 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Picky, Picky Web Posting

(...) Well, you need to know the location of cookies.txt, that's the rub. Otherwise, you can just use a DOS Batch file for this task. Jasper (26 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Picky, Picky Web Posting

(...) I use netscape navigator 4.5's roaming profiles support to do this, with both my cookies and my bookmarks. works great. (26 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Picky, Picky Web Posting

(...) Yep, that's the usual unix way. As complicated as possible. I know it can be done manually. I'm thinking it wouldn't be that big a deal to do it with as little effort as possible. In fact ... Nope, nothing in the Cookie and Cache Manager (...) (26 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Picky, Picky Web Posting

(...) Yeah, I might have to start using 4.5 more. I prefer IE still, but I know of no way to do this with IE. 'Course, we're working on building our next version of our communications package with Netscape's new install builder. Still nowhere near (...) (26 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Picky, Picky Web Posting

Also sprach Sproaticus: : So I could just (for netscape) copy cookies.txt around from machine to : machine? Hmmm... I could probably use this to let my wife and I "log on" to : the same browser and retain our separate identities. Yup. But if your (...) (26 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)