 Administrative / General / 8386
  Re: Let's define what an auction announcement/update is

(...) I agree with Larry(!). If nothing else, I'd like to see equality between web and nttp posters - even if we have to take away the nttp right to cancel. Scott A (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Web interface cancels (was Re: Let's define what an auction announcement/update is)

(...) For what it's worth, I agree with both of you(!!) inasmuch as getting cancel rights to the web interface, although if it's not possible for one reason or other I wouldn't want to see it taken away from NNTP. eric (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Web interface cancels (was Re: Let's define what an auction announcement/update is)

(...) Agree. Taking away cancel from NNTP would probably be a step backwards-- I don't want to stoop to the lowest common denominator... But it'd be nice to be able to cancel things via the web interface, or at least things posted via the web (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Web interface cancels (was Re: Let's define what an auction announcement/update is)

(...) I think it could be cookie based (he said, while simulteneously knowing nothing about cookies). After all, posting identity is cookie based, is it not? Do we really need to worry about "rogue cancellers" cancelling all kinds of Lugnet posts (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Web interface cancels (was Re: Let's define what an auction announcement/update is)

(...) Not really, although it can be. The problem being mainly that the web interface will still let you post if you don't have a cookie. It can actually give you a new one in some cases. So if I post a message as Bob Shmoe, I can get a cookie as (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Web interface cancels (was Re: Let's define what an auction announcement/update is)

(...) eh? the only way you can get an id cookie is by putting in the confirmation code, isn't it? Also, if you can cancel messages only by you, and only if you're logged in (have to be a member), that's pretty secure... No way to get the member (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Web interface cancels (was Re: Let's define what an auction announcement/update is)

(...) Oh? I could easily be wrong-- being a still-starting-out web programmer my browser's cookies are always being rewritten, etc, so I'm not sure. But I thought that there were something like three different cookies that Lugnet can drop you? - (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Web interface cancels (was Re: Let's define what an auction announcement/update is)

(...) One amelioration for the rogue cancel problem would be for the web interface to "stash" a cancelled post somewhere safe. Lots of variations on that possible. In addition to the stash, send it in email to the address given in the posting (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Web interface cancels (was Re: Let's define what an auction announcement/update is)

Do we have numbers on relative mail/nntp/web POSTING usage? (...) NNTP already allows cancel. It is possible for someone who knows the NNTP protocol to forge cancels, I believe, but I am not sure. I would be OK with web cancel only working when you (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Web interface cancels (was Re: Let's define what an auction announcement/update is)

(...) Ug, that's kinda gross. I think the cleanest way is what someone suggested earlier: When you request that a post be cancelled, the server simply send a confirmation e-mail to the person who posted the message. If they get the e-mail, it proves (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.admin.general)