 Administrative / General / 8394
Re: Web interface cancels (was Re: Let's define what an auction announcement/update is)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:42:26 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Joslin writes:

Do we really need to worry about "rogue cancellers" cancelling all kinds of
Lugnet posts via the web any more than we need to worry about identity
fraud in
posting via the web?  The security for both would be the same, essentially.

One amelioration for the rogue cancel problem would be for the web interface
to "stash" a cancelled post somewhere safe. Lots of variations on that
possible. In addition to the stash, send it in email to the address given in
the posting header. In addition to the stash, put in a review queue for Todd
to look at later and possibly reinstate

I don't know if it's possible to NNTP UNCANCEL (that is, put a post right
back where it was in the news db with all threading re-intact) but if it is,
we don't have to be *perfect* about ensuring that no one can EVER cancel
someone else's post, merely fairly sure, and merely certain that the stashed
cancelled post doesn't go missing. And even if it is not possible to
reinsert in situ, ToS the offender and have the stashed post reposted.
Breaks threads in that case but not as badly as rogue mail clients did for a
while there.

++Lar