 Administrative / General / 8396
Re: Web interface cancels (was Re: Let's define what an auction announcement/update is)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 22:59:35 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, David Eaton writes:
BUT, I suppose you COULD do it off of cookies in a limited way:
-each post via the web interface has a cookie associated with it.
-only browsers passing back that cookie are capable of cancelling that
message.

Ug, that's kinda gross.  I think the cleanest way is what someone suggested
earlier:  When you request that a post be cancelled, the server simply send
a confirmation e-mail to the person who posted the message.  If they get the
e-mail, it proves they're who they say there are.  From there, they go to a
web-page to confirm the deletion.  True, someone who's not you could cause
you to be sent a bunch of really annoying confirmation-request messages via
email, but it's no more dangerous than what's there now for signing up for
news by mail.

--Todd