 Administrative / General / 8283
Re: Selecting top stories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 04:35:41 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Miller writes:
Steve Bliss <steve.bliss@home.com> wrote:
They might very much dislike the earlier post, and they'd give it a very
low rating.  Maybe they discovered a typo that they couldn't resist
pouncing on.  Maybe they like to type a lot.

Sure, but say there's twenty people who did this....

It wouldn't matter -- a zero or "- - -" vote is an "undo" or "null" vote.
That is, only "Highlight" and "Spotlight" get counted; submitting "- - -"
is like not submitting anything.  This prevents things from being marked
down super-low.

--Todd

Perhaps if you provided some side benefit to voting, more people would do
it.  I know that I voted a lot with the older system, because there was a
lot finer gradation.  But with the new system, I can't remember the last
time I decided an article should be highlighted or spotlighted.

So two suggestions: perhaps have a step below highlight, and one between
highlight and spotlight, to give people who aren't willing to vote an
article as being *that* significant, something to do anyway.  A lot of in
between votes are better than none.  Note this would in no way constitute an
article being 'marked down'.

Secondly, provide another benefit to voting.  One example, everytime I voted
with the old system, Lugnet would remember that I had read that article, and
it didn't matter what machine I was on, I never had to guess whether I had
previously read an article I voted for.  That was a tangible benefit that
encouraged me to vote.  Even a null vote would be meaningful for this.  But
other benifits are also possible.

--
  David Schilling