 Administrative / General / 8273
Re: Selecting top stories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 13:55:09 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Bram Lambrecht wrote:

Since most members don't seem to rate messages very often, I had an idea to
help pick top stories...Can you keep track of how many replies a message has?
If so, then a lot of replies to a fairly recent message (fuzzy sorting again)
would indicate a "top story" IMO, especially from the content on LUGNET point
of view[1].  What do you think?

I've noticed that most messages get very few ratings.

But I'm not sure that counting followups can replace ratings, because
someone posting a response to a message doesn't indicate that they feel the
message is important or newsworthy.  Sometimes, they feel just the opposite
way.

Instead of changing the system, I'd rather encourage members to rate
messages they feel are rate-worthy.

Maybe if it was possible to rate a message at the same time as you reply to
it, more people would take part in the ratings?

Steve