 Administrative / General / 8277
Re: Selecting top stories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 20:34:08 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Miller wrote:

Steve Bliss <steve.bliss@home.com> wrote:

But I'm not sure that counting followups can replace ratings, because
someone posting a response to a message doesn't indicate that they feel the
message is important or newsworthy.  Sometimes, they feel just the opposite
way.

Then why did they bother to reply?

They might very much dislike the earlier post, and they'd give it a very
low rating.  Maybe they discovered a typo that they couldn't resist
pouncing on.  Maybe they like to type a lot.

Steve