 Administrative / General / 8242
Re: How do we ask for a new newsgroup to be set up?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 11:28:19 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.admin.general, Simon Denscombe writes:
so people will always mis-post here because the market newsgroup will be
buried

It's pretty easy to set up cross-reference links on the entry pages to the
groups.

I don't see why we can't have it in the loc.uk hierachy

Name components in the .loc hierarchy are abbreviations for localities, • for
example, .loc.us.ma.bos stands for United States, Massachusetts, Boston, • and
.loc.uk.sc stands for United Kingdom, Scotland.  A name like • .loc.uk.market
doesn't make sense because market isn't a location in the UK.

--Todd

Todd,
I asked how we ask for this newsgroup originally.

I am not hung up on what we call it.
I would just like a separate group for UK folk to buy-sell-trade.
There seemed to be interest from others.

My reasoning was that folks dont seem to like their newgroup getting clogged
up with buy-sell-trade-auction type stuff.
And the current lugnet.market ones were too US centric - meaning you got
lost in the noise.

So whether its under the market or loc hierarchy I dont care.
Personally I dont care either if we just had buy-sell-trade-auction posts in
lugnet.loc.uk, but I guess others would.

regards
lawrence

It seems to me that if you want to put it in buy-sell-trade start the post
with "UK only" (or the title) and then you can see it in the brief lists or
do a search in BST for UK and it would come up.

I do understand Todd's point. He wants to keep .loc as locations.

I guess the responsability to specify locations is on the individual who
posts. Even I wish people would be more specific on where they are shipping
from and to so I could decide on weither or not to bid on the object
(shipping can be a killer). It is hard to remember where everyone lives. :-)

my 2 cents,

Jude