 Administrative / General / 7754
  Re: LUGNET Memberships

(...) Do all ATMs have a video recorder (or live person in the case of a point of sale ATM, though at least in many stores, you are also on video)? (...) An interesting question: would the maximum loss policies exist in Libertopia? Please follow-up (...) (24 years ago, 24-Sep-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNET Memberships

(...) Sure. But not as laws. Each bank-customer pair can have whatever rules they agree too. And, I suppose, each ATM-customer pair can also layer on whatever rules they both care to agree to. IMO, the best thing about Libertopia is that the freedom (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LUGNET Memberships

(...) The swipe-through ATMs are probably a lot cheaper, both to install and maintain. They don't have all the mechanical parts needed to accept and return the card (ooo, reversing motor), so they shouldn't break down as often. Of course, not having (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNET Memberships

(...) Probably the latter. But maybe (tying threads together) we could have Todd print a bar code that we swiped with our :CueCats to verify it was us (along with a rather easier password that we had to remember) ?? Personally I think one should (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: LUGNET Memberships

(...) Nice rant. What does PayPal do if someone tries to break in? They must have some kind of fancy delaying system and on-the-fly log checking? I wonder how hard it is (or if it's possible) to DoS someone on PayPal. --Todd (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: LUGNET Memberships

(...) easy - try logging in as someone (or yourself) 5 times, and get the password wrong. then ask for a hint, get that wrong. then they'll disable your account until you get a little note in the mail with your new password. do this to some (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: LUGNET Memberships

(...) Are you serious, or joking?! (I assume you're serious.) Egad, if they don't also block IP addresses after someone does that, then it's only a matter of time before there's a massive DoS attack against a hundred thousand or a million random (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: LUGNET Memberships

(...) I am pretty serious... I don't know what safeguards they have in place... they might have asked me some questions, I forget... I just remember, that a week later, when I remembered my password, I still couldn't log in... and when I contacted (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)