 Administrative / General / 7277
Re: Double posting.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 08:48:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
[...]
So that begs the question... WHY is pressing back recommended? You explained
it once, long ago. I forget. Maybe it had something to do with server load.

No, nothing to do with server load...  It has to do with the stack paradigm of
web browsers in general...hitting the Back button _really_ brings you back to
where you were (assuming the browser isn't buggy), as opposed to a facsimilie
of where you were.  That is, by using the Back button, you go

  A --> B --> C --> D --> E
              C <-- D <--

and then still have the option to go back to B or A (whatever they may be) if
you want/need to.  In contrast, if you avoid the Back button, then you go

  A --> B --> C --> D --> E --> C

to get back to C, which means that getting back to B or A is a real mess

Yes, forgot about this.

Hmm, well, actually, it already always knows exactly where you came from
(that is, what you were viewing when you clicked Reply -- even if you were
in a thread) because it propagates this along in a hidden form field.  That
link shows up in the middle of the three items in the bulleted list:

  o Browse <newsgroup name>
  o Revisit previous message
  o Or use your browser's Back button (recommended).

Sounds like what you'd like to see is simply the eradication of the third
item in that list?

Not eradication, no. Maybe deemphasis.

Now that I think about it, I think the better way to go may be to launch a new
window for the posting operation, leaving the old one right where it is at.
The user goes through the posting process and when they are done and get the
confirm screen the recommended option is to *close* that window. When they do
so, voila, the window they were on resurfaces and they are exactly where they
were before because they never left it!

--Todd