 Administrative / General / 7272
Re: Double posting.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 04:05:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
[...]
So that begs the question... WHY is pressing back recommended? You explained
it once, long ago. I forget. Maybe it had something to do with server load.

No, nothing to do with server load...  It has to do with the stack paradigm of
web browsers in general...hitting the Back button _really_ brings you back to
where you were (assuming the browser isn't buggy), as opposed to a facsimilie
of where you were.  That is, by using the Back button, you go

   A --> B --> C --> D --> E
               C <-- D <--

and then still have the option to go back to B or A (whatever they may be) if
you want/need to.  In contrast, if you avoid the Back button, then you go

   A --> B --> C --> D --> E --> C

to get back to C, which means that getting back to B or A is a real mess.

Additionally, when you use the Back button instead of going forward, you'll
retain your vertical position in a tall page if you happened to be replying
from the middle of a thread.  If you go forward to revisit that page view,
your position is lost.

In other words, use of the Back button is just general good websurfing advice.
(Not that I think the Back button ought to supplant considerations for forward
linking options, however. :-)

[...]
Stop recommending that we press the back button, and give a way to get back
to where we came from in one press after the post is confirmed, and you've
gotten at the root cause of the problem without the fancy techno-fix.

Might it be nice if a separate window popped up which you could then just
_close_ and have to not worry about?  Some way to reply with a TARGET=foo
in the <A HREF=bar> or something like that.  Although...then you'd have to
worry about whether or not it was "safe" to close that window (i.e., whether
or not its local history went back before the reply).

Maybe you need to set a cookie to remind you of which group the post you
were viewing was being viewed from so you go back to the right one, or
something.  I dunno.

Hmm, well, actually, it already always knows exactly where you came from
(that is, what you were viewing when you clicked Reply -- even if you were
in a thread) because it propagates this along in a hidden form field.  That
link shows up in the middle of the three items in the bulleted list:

   o Browse <newsgroup name>
   o Revisit previous message
   o Or use your browser's Back button (recommended).

Sounds like what you'd like to see is simply the eradication of the third
item in that list?

--Todd