 Administrative / General / 7130
Re: Which sets had these slopes in them?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 15:25:48 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Shiri Dori wrote:

XP .db.inv

You didn't mention FUT, so I'm ignoring this bit.

I agree.
Hmmm... I'm thinking something along the lines of slightly changing the
charter for .db.inv (or alternatively, creating a new group).

I'd rather not see db.inv's charter changed.  I think a new group would be
better.  Actually, the true, proper solution is a queryable database.

True - but that would take a lot of combined effort. The question is, do we
need a temporary solution *until* there's a permanent, searchable db?

Maybe that's why Todd Lehman is staying out of the discussion.   That, and
the fact that he's probably busy -- maybe he just wants us to figure it out
and make a recommendation/request?

Uh, probably he has other things on his mind right now, see
http://www.lugnet.com/people/?n=794
<sigh>

Ideally, and eventually, we might have an all-sets automated DB... with a
list
of parts, each crossref'ed to partsref... and clicking on a part would give
you the list of sets in which it appeared, and--

Yep, that's the ticket.  I like Tim Vattima's work, except it's not
searchable.  And the partnames are sometimes obscure.

Yeah - they don't match up with partsref either, so it's hard to know what
he's referring to at times.
A searchable query list would be simply fabulous, and would save so much time
and effort for everyone involved.

The scary thing is, all it takes is a flat file with all the data and a
couple of queries/searches to return the data.  Then it's just a SMODE[1].

It's that simple?... wow.

-Shiri