 Administrative / General / 7117
Re: Which sets had these slopes in them?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:19:32 GMT

XP .db.inv

In lugnet.admin.general, Steve Bliss writes:
Well, .db.inv is intended to be a place to post set-inventory lists, not to
ask questions about which sets included specific parts.  But the purpose of
the group covers the data needed to answer your question.
<snip>

I agree.
Hmmm... I'm thinking something along the lines of slightly changing the
charter for .db.inv (or alternatively, creating a new group).

If the charter was changed from...

  lugnet.db.inv:
     Special data-oriented group for the storage and retrieval of parts
     inventories of LEGO® sets (one set per post); duplication of effort
     (multiple people inventorying the same set) is heartily encouraged as
     a safety/redundancy check against errors/omissions

to, for example...

:   lugnet.db.inv:
:      Special data-oriented group for the storage and retrieval of parts
:      inventories of LEGO® sets (one set per post), as well as what parts
:      appear in which sets. Duplication of effort (multiple people
:      inventorying the same set) is heartily encouraged as a
:      safety/redundancy check against errors/omissions

...it would be helpful for part questions.

Now, I'm not sure if if Todd would want this; but maybe. Anyone got some
better ideas? I'd love to hear somone squash my theory! ;-)

Ideally, and eventually, we might have an all-sets automated DB... with a list
of parts, each crossref'ed to partsref... and clicking on a part would give
you the list of sets in which it appeared, and--

"Wake up, Shiri"
<grin>

Seriously, though... Dan and Jenn are working on something like that, I think,
and I hope it works. I only inventoried one set so far... and that was tough
enuff :-) ... so I appreciate their hard work. Is there any chance to convert
the current inventoried sets (the ones appearing on the "inventory" link on
the main page) to that format? I'd be glad to assist in anything like that -
just LMK what to do. :-) (and preferrably after I get back from .il)

-Shiri