 Administrative / General / 6911
  Re: Stick in the mud...

(...) In this example, if /foo/bar doesn't exist the user should get what /foo/bar/ points to, one way or another. Not a page to help them get to it. Either redirect (current practice) or rewrite (possible option) /foo/bar to /foo/bar/. If you (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Stick in the mud...

(...) I agree that this is ideal in cases where the user may have mis-typed the URL by hand (or had been given the wrong URL from, say, a print ad in a magazine, and they typed it in by hand). I'm not sure it's ideal for cases where someone (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Stick in the mud...

(...) Except that it's a pain to get a web page author to fix broken links on their page which is effectively what you're saying. Given the way web pages currently work, I think it's important to keep from breaking web pages. To this extent, I have (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Stick in the mud...

(...) Oh, I didn't mean to suggest that /foo/bar should give a 404 error (page not found) if the HTTP referrer was from another webpage, I just meant that I don't believe it's an ideal solution to give a 301 (automatic redirect) in that case. (...) (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Stick in the mud...

(...) /foo/bar/ (...) someone (...) What's the difference between someone typing in a url into a browser and typing a url into a text editor? Not much, except perhaps the person typing it into a text editor should consider proper netiquette. A good (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Stick in the mud...

(...) There's a big difference: When a person types a URL in wrong by hand, it's usually either a mistake or because they were being lazy (not to imply that there's anything wrong with being lazy) or because they weren't aware of the actual (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Stick in the mud...

(...) I hoped you didn't plan to give a 404 or a blank page, what I was saying is that it would be annoying to be using someone else's page of links (because it's so complete) and always get a "lecture" page until you can convince them to fix it. Of (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Stick in the mud...

(...) 308 Fix Your %$*@ Web Page ? (24 years ago, 14-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Stick in the mud...

(...) Nope, definitely not! (...) Aha, I see. OK. BTW, any particular reason why to use the form (2 URLs) One thing which can also be annoying with some auto-redirects is that it (...) It depends on which type of redirect you use. If you use a real (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Stick in the mud...

(...) ROTFL!!! Yes!!!!!! That's exactly what we need! And it spams the owner of the page with the wrong URL. :) --Todd (24 years ago, 14-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Stick in the mud...

(...) Well, no. Not any user. Some users can't see at all, you know. Some users have trouble typing shifted characters and therefore use all lower case or ALL CAPS because they really don't have a choice. Those users are worth accomodating, I feel. (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Stick in the mud...

(...) I guess I just don't like having the document be in a file "index.html", but want a directory with related documents. (...) Is that something one can access by creating an html file, or do you have to have access to the web server code in some (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Stick in the mud...

(...) I don't know of any browsers that allow it but there are tools that let you do it. For Example: (URL) is an addon to your browser that lets you use aliases for finding pages. In Networds case you have to register a "netword" and its link and a (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)