 Administrative / General / 6133
Re: Regarding bulk orders: a proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 16:59:32 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

"Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
news:Ft80HL.IFD@lugnet.com...

<SNIPPEROONEY>

Ah yes, a posted periodic summary might help Brad.

Suggest posting a message to .lego.direct asking Brad if it would help
him or not help him.  (Or write to him at his published address
legodirect@lego.com and ask.)

OK.  My main intent was user-based info-gathering, not a direct system with
LEGO itself.  But we'll see.

Only Brad knows what would help him.
True.

I am wondering if TLG will actually have an online repository showing a
'live' count.  So if I want 100 transparent macaroni bricks but they • will
only produce 10000, where is the count currently at?  Might save them a • ton
of calls.  I'm just guessing (and dreaming), though.

My understanding is that LEGO Direct will take orders and money prior to
actually making production runs of parts, and then will run the production
and ship the parts.  I haven't heard anything yet that indicates that they
would keep parts in stock, although they may decide to -- who knows...

Again, a more informal system was intended.  I am assuming that a good
majority of the future bulk buyers either post on LUGNET or lurk there.  If
we all blindly request elements from TLG, but they will only produce those
elements if they are in sufficient quantity, there might be those that don't
get their order.  If some of us were willing to 'bend' and either top up
each other's orders, or alter our requests so as to match someone else's and
meet the quota, then it would be worth it to do this database.  However if
everyone wants their specific piece and they can afford it and that's it,
then this thing will be a waste of time.  If we all see a list of 40-tooth
red gears (in the database) hit 1000, then we can say 'all right--let's all
place our orders' since there will be sufficient quantity to produce that
piece (assuming 1000 is enough--another variable I don't know, and assuming
everyone follows through).  I am aware of the potential complexity and
uselessness of this.  I'm just trying to get an idea out there.

Randy

--

Randy Anchikoski
bigguy@teradesigns.tzo.com