 Administrative / General / 592
Re: lugnettiquete question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 20:35:19 GMT

blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:

[...]
With that in mind, is it appropriate to <snip> quotes more aggresively
on lugnet?  I'd rather have shorter quotes than longer, but I don't
want to over-<snip> to the point that readers have no idea what I'm
talking about.

I usually like to snip as much as possible, as opposed to as little as
necessary.

I'd say:

1.  Always always always snip sigs and garbage added by third-party
    free e-mail sites.  ("Get your free @foofoo.com e-mail here!")

2.  Except in truly rare circumstances, never snip the whole post -- but
    don't feel bad snipping it down to just a single sentence, if that's
    all you're replying to.

3.  Snip as much as is appropriate and try to get your new comments up as
    high as possible on the screen (but don't add your reply above the
    original message -- blyecch!).

4.  Always use  >  for the quoting character (not : or |, etc.)

Trivial example: if I wanted to make a MeToo! post, would I / should I
skip the quote entirely, and just put

Me Too!

in the body of the message?

5.  Hmm, if someone -does- feel the need to do a MeToo! posting (ecch :),
    they should snip as much as possible be nice to readers and archiving
    and -not- quote the entire message.  Probably what would be appropriate
    is snipping the message down to a key phrase, and then seeing if the
    subject line should be changed as well.  MeToo!'s tend to pile up, and
    when they do, a reader wants to flip through them quickly.

--Todd