 Administrative / General / 589
Re: lugnettiquete question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 17:53:13 GMT

Steve Bliss writes:
<snipped with that in mind>
With that in mind, is it appropriate to <snip> quotes more aggresively
on lugnet?  I'd rather have shorter quotes than longer, but I don't
want to over-<snip> to the point that readers have no idea what I'm
talking about.

Trivial example: if I wanted to make a MeToo! post, would I / should I
skip the quote entirely, and just put

Me Too!

in the body of the message?

I think the italicized line from the posting page says it all: "Please be
courteous to your readers..." I know it's only an example, so I'll run with it:
"Me Too" is not considered courteous for those that pay per unit time; also I
don't necessarily want to have to spend time reading the history of a thread to
figure out a post that only said, "I don't get it" because I'm paying per unit
time there too. Also (but considerably less important) a newbie just signing on
for the first time would have no idea what was being talked about.

IMO, a good gauge is to limit your inclusion of the previous post to just
enough content so that your post reminds the author of what he wrote so he can
understand your reply. Often, I'm not a very good judge of this, especially
when I'm tired and don't want to hassle with it.

BTW, a good way you could include a ME2 and still maintain netiquette is too
include along with the ME2 a contribution of something of value or a question.