 Administrative / General / 593
Re: Forgot to post here - announcing my web site!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 20:45:33 GMT

In lugnet.publish, mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) writes:

Steve Bliss <blisses@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
Hrm. I would have said that this group was MORE appropriate to post
announcements of a new web page than .announcements (which I see for

I *think* Todd has made statements to the contrary.

He has:

   lugnet.publish (group):
      Photography techniques, imaging systems, WWW authoring tools,
      Internet service providers, legal issues, etc.

I think where an announcement of a new web site goes is dependent on who you
want to see it.  The lugnet.publish hierarchy (which may later expand to
lugnet.publish.www, lugnet.publish.photo, and possibly others someday) is
intended for developers/geeks/technophiles/shutterbugs, people learning
HTML, and anyone interesting in talking about the ins and outs of various
forms of publishing.

So if you've got a brand new web site that will appeal to everyone, and it's
all set for launch, then by all means lugnet.announce is quite appropriate,
with followups probably set to lugnet.general.

But if you've got a brand new web site and you want feedback from other web
developers before announcing it to the general user population, then by all
means lugnet.publish is appropriate.

The location of the announcment (or URL-dropping :) really depends on your
intentions.

--Todd