 Administrative / General / 5373
Re: Why MSIE sucks for the HTML writer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 19:35:33 GMT

The reason the question can be interpreted both ways is because some companies
(MS in particular) have a long history of leaving old bugs in place (not • fixing
them in new releases) for reasons of backward compatibility.  W.r.t. MS,
I think this was true more in the old DOS days before the MSDN cashcow.

Backward compat is a sometimes difficult issue to deal with.  Case in point,
because of the many differences in the rendering capabilities between Nav and
IE, many site authors have to write small workarounds to get even polarity in
rendering.  On a case by case basis, we have to decide whether or not to
change a particular behavior based on the fact of backwards compatibility
alone.  Believe me, we have very comprehensive statistics on who uses what
features.

Obviously, I'm coming into this thread kindof late.  Sorry about that.

Day in and day out, I am amazed at what IE5 can do.  The extensibility is
simply supurb.  The rendering speed simply kicks Nav's ass (from perf stats).
Of course I'm baised.  I haven't used Nav for years (seriously).  Ideally (for
web developers and end-users), the world would use only one browser.  I would
like to see that browser be IE.

Anything that I can do to help you "like" IE better, I will do.  But _please_
limit your rants to the latest version 5.01.  We've made it clear in other
posts that software companies don't fix old versions.

Give me bug reports!!

PS: I would love to reply to every post here, but I'm not good at arguing my
points (I'm not PR, I'm a tester :)  I'm just fighting for my product as
anyone would do.

PPS:  Keep an eye out for IE5.5.  One really cool feature is IFRAME
transparency!

--
Asher Kobin
asherk@microsoft.com