 Administrative / General / 5359
Re: Why MSIE sucks for the HTML writer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 14:10:31 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
Is Netscape still fixing bugs that appeared in NN3.x, or more
appropriately, I guess, in NN2.x?

If there are any left, I'd hope so!

And I would hope NOT. NS has better things to do with their time than
fix 3 year old software. Standard policy in software is to drop support
for stuff more than 18 months old. And that's a GOOD think IMHO.

By your own admission (the stats you posted), hardly anyone is using it.

Note that I can talk out of both sides of my mouth on this, I do feel
that HTML writers should be backward compatible... but not expect bugs
in older software to be fixed, and after a certain point, cut their
losses.

LOL!  Unless you can go back in time, it's literally impossible to fix bugs
in older browsers!  Once you fix the bug, you've created a new version, and
the old version continues to exist.

I think we interpreted Mike's question differently.  I answered it literally.
I hope Netscape is still fixing bugs that appeared in NN 3.x & 2.x.

But not on source code branches -- not backlevel releases.  Even if Netscape
fixes a bug which appeared in 2.x and is now fixed for 5.x, I hope they only
apply the fix to 5.x and not waste any time fixing it and retesting on a 2.x
version branch.

The reason the question can be interpreted both ways is because some companies
(MS in particular) have a long history of leaving old bugs in place (not fixing
them in new releases) for reasons of backward compatibility.  W.r.t. MS,
I think this was true more in the old DOS days before the MSDN cashcow.

--Todd