 Administrative / General / 5225
Re: Fun goodies for your browser's toolbar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 06:58:24 GMT

Todd,

I've been playing with the 'news' search,  as written it does not work for
me in IE5 (it works fine in my NS4.7).

I removed q=document.selection and the second ')' from the if statement and
it seems to work fine.  I had to stick the whole thing inside an html page
to get it to work.

I got a button on my toolbar by adding it to the 'links' toolbar.  Select
'view', 'toolbars', 'links' to display.

So with a bunch of juryrigging, it is working as advertised.

My lugnetnews.html files looks like this:

<script language='jscript'>
q=prompt("LUGNET News Search","");
if(q){u="http://www.lugnet.com/?q=";
for(i=0;i<q.length;i++){c=q.charAt(i);
u+=(c=="+")?"%2B":(c==" ")?"+":escape(c)}location.href=u}
</script>

There must be a better way, but it is possible.

--
Scott Smallbeck
scotts@contactics.com

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.general, Shiri Dori writes:
(FUT .admin.general)

Narf! This would be so cool if it worked... but it doesn't, not on MSIE.

Narf narf!  :)  Well, we don't admit to being experts on MSIE, but it
definitely is possible (maybe not the exact way which was explained).

Reason:
Next, open up you browser's "Edit Bookmarks" window (Ctrl-B or • Command-B in
Netscape).  This might be called "Favorites" or "Links" in non-Netscape
browsers.

Now, from the File menu, select "New Bookmark..."

This is totally non-doable in MSIE.
In the 'favorites' menu there are only two options:
a. Add to favorites
b. Organiize favorites

(a) automatically adds the current page to the favorites toolbar.
(b) lets you create new folders, and to move current bookmarks, but not • tov
create new ones.

In the 'file' menu, under the 'new...' submenu, you can open a new: • [window,
message, post, contact, or Internet call]. No favorites.

Any suggests?

Maybe if we made a special HTML page with actual hyperlinks containing the
magic stuff.  I think you can right-click and select Add to Favorites on a
link?

--Todd & Suz

-Shiri

Argh! I got all excited when I saw this...