 Administrative / General / 4447
Re: Pre Auction Anouncment/Sale/Trade - Parts & Sets (8448 / 7171 / Pirates)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 23:31:32 GMT

Lorbaat wrote:

Well, just to chime in here, I think Scott said he was serious about
donating 10 bucks as a fine, although it came off as flippant at first.

This may be a UK US thing, or even a US vs all other english speakers
thing, but I've noticed that non  US english speakers have somewhat
different nuances. What we USians sometimes perceive as insulting was in
good faith intended in good fun.

It may well have been meant in a spirit of fun.  Unfortunately, it really
wasn't the time for a joke, which is why it came off as flippant.

Just an aside. Mostly I agree with you, eric.

Well, thanks.

But ya, Scott's lazy. So am I. Lazy is good if it means inventing better
ways to do things. Lazy is bad if it means free riding or shortcutting
to the point of causing problems.

I don't have an issue with his laziness.  He can be as lazy as the day is long
for all I care.

What I do have an issue with is the breakdown of a society.  Lugnet, as a
society, has certain rules its members need to follow.  Very, very few rules,
in fact.

*Don't use vulgar language.
*Respect others.
*Post to the appropriate newsgroups only.

I think that about sums it up (in fact, the first one is really a subset of
the second one).  The issue here (for me at least) is that Scott not only
violated the rules, but violated them repeatedly (I hope that word suits
everyone better that 'continually') and continued to do so even after having
been through the process of nicely being asked to stop.  Making matters worse
is the fact that he doesn't seem to understand or acknowledge that what he's
been doing is actually harmful, even if in a minor way.

I didn't want to bring this up, really, but I've had no small amount of
experience dealing with people who break ToS's.  I drafted and enacted a ToS
for a major New England ISP.  I was in charge, daily, of going through
complaints, determining whether or not they were valid, and getting in touch
with the users in question, explaining why what they did was wrong and letting
them know what would happen if they continued.  Invariably, people who reacted
like Scott has- excuses, no real understanding of the problems caused by their
actions, etc- ended up being unreformable and ToSsed.  Of course, I used a
"three strikes" policy, so Scott would already be gone, but then, we were
running an ISP that had to fear getting UDP'ed and blocked from servers, while
Lugnet can afford to be nicer.  Anyway, perhaps that experience has colored my
perceptions of this one, but I just have a feeling that whether he's doing it
on purpose or not, he doesn't understand why he shouldn't, and therefore will
again.  Not taking some kind of serious action will lead to others perceiving
it as OK, and by inches we approach chaos.

Yeah, I'm overstating the case a little bit.  But the slide starts somewhere,
so when you see it starting, you might as well stop it.  Once again, that's
just my opinion.

eric