 Administrative / General / 4453
Re: Pre Auction Anouncment/Sale/Trade - Parts & Sets (8448 / 7171 / Pirates)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 09:07:53 GMT

I didn't want to bring this up, really, but I've had no small amount of
experience dealing with people who break ToS's.  I drafted and enacted a • ToS
for a major New England ISP.  I was in charge, daily, of going through
complaints, determining whether or not they were valid, and getting in • touch
with the users in question, explaining why what they did was wrong and • letting
them know what would happen if they continued.  Invariably, people who • reacted
like Scott has- excuses, no real understanding of the problems caused by • their
actions, etc- ended up being unreformable and ToSsed.  Of course, I used a
"three strikes" policy, so Scott would already be gone, but then, we were
running an ISP that had to fear getting UDP'ed and blocked from servers, • while
Lugnet can afford to be nicer.  Anyway, perhaps that experience has • colored my
perceptions of this one, but I just have a feeling that whether he's doing • it
on purpose or not, he doesn't understand why he shouldn't, and therefore • will
again.  Not taking some kind of serious action will lead to others • perceiving
it as OK, and by inches we approach chaos.

I subscribe to 5 or 6 work related newsgroups/mailing lists. I subcribe to a
few others which relate to my personal life. All of them are self policed.
If somebody is being annoying, they soon find out about about it. These
groups all amble along quite happily. Additionally, the "three strikes and
your a out policy" is great for lazy administraotrs, as it avoids them
having to look at any mitegating circumstances. IMOP, all it takes is a
quick corrective post to highlight:
a) Which rule has been brocken.
b) Emabarres the posters.
c) Warn other posters that some sort of ToS do exist

If a poster does reapeatedly are continualy break rules (like DYA used to -
that _was_ continual _&_ repeated rule breaking), then throw the book at
him/her.

I suppose the problem with the LUGNet system is there is no firm procedure
for dealing with rouge posters as far as I know. I think over the last two
days  a number of wrongly posted items have been highlighted.... but I'm
sure there may be others out there?

Scott A