 Administrative / General / 4291
Re: Any parties planned for the odometer clicking one over?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 02:02:19 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Kingsley writes:
I noticed that LUGNET will be hitting a milestone very soon.  If my
calcultions are correct on Thursday of next week if current averages hold
LUGNET will receive its 100,000th post.

Hey, you're right -- good estimate! -- looks like it will indeed happen
sometime tomorrow.

Now I won't be sitting hitting refresh just to try
and get the 100,000th post but it seems like a nice milestone for LUGNET
and I was wondering if anything was planned?

Mmm, like pitchers of Guinness at the Bison Country BBQ?  ;-)

We should at least pop the cork on a virtual bottle of champagne or
something.  Hey if its virtual champagne I will even offer to virtually
pay for it :-).

Now in the future I doubt 100,000 posts will mean to much seeing the rate
at which LUGNET is growing but we should at least celebrate the first
100,000.

I'm surprised how quickly it's gotten this high, because I think it took RTL
about four years to get to 100,000.

Either way thanks Todd and congratulations on the current and future
success of LUGNET.

Thanks!  One other almost-coincidence BTW, if you like numbers:  earlier
this week, the 2,000,000th logged email went out.  Since 22 Feb 1999, when
I started logging the outgoing mail, there have been 163,590 digest messages
plus 1,868,934 regular individual news-by-mail messages sent.  I'm not sure
how many went out before 22 Feb 1999, but oh well, two million still feels
like a fun milestone.  Figure about 3x that for news articles viewed via the
web interface, plus who-knows-what for NNTP messages served (individual
article fetches aren't logged -- only connections), and then the numbers
really get big.  Anyway, the overall article count is nice and
straightforward.  :-)

--Todd

p.s.  BTW, I once read a few months ago that AOL's webservers together serve
28,000 page views per _second_!