 Administrative / General / 4290
Re: Non-Latin encoding (was: Re: conclusion)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 00:40:56 GMT

In lugnet.loc.jp, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.loc.jp, Paul Davidson writes:
Lugnet seems to have serious problems with non-latin encoding --

Hmm, I'm not so sure.

I'm not even using 8-bit encoding methods.

Hmm, well, but you were using Microshaft Look-Out to post the messages.  The
funny thing is, all of the non-Latin characters were converted (somewhere)
to ?'s.  Most likely, methinks, this happened not at the newsserver but at
the client end.  AFAIK, the guts of newsserver don't ever munge the body
content of a message based on the low-level characters encodings.  So regular
JIS should in theory work, and Shift-JIS should definitely work.

A friend of mine told me that if you install Word after Outlook, it'll send
mail as Microsoft RTF.  I can't verify this, but I thought it might help.

Jeff