 Administrative / General / 4300
Re: Any parties planned for the odometer clicking one over?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:21:26 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Susan Hoover writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Kingsley writes:
I noticed that LUGNET will be hitting a milestone very soon.  If
my calcultions are correct on Thursday of next week if current
averages hold LUGNET will receive its 100,000th post.

Hey, you're right -- good estimate! -- looks like it will indeed
happen sometime tomorrow.

I understand how Todd would know how many posts there are total, but
how can Eric know?  I'm reading via NNTP and don't get this
information.  I've also tried viewing the LUGnet web site, but I don't
see anything there either.  Nothing in admin.statistics gives me a
clue.  ???

Hmmm.  Should I reveal my secret...  I don't know...

Actually it is very simple although not immidiately obvious.

From the Web Server if you go to the main LUGNET page http://www.lugnet.com/
then click on any one of the NEXT: xx More links you are given a listing of the
next xx messages that looks something like this...

http://www.lugnet.com/?n=*100117,-20&v=b

In this case you are given the most recent message number minus 4 for the home
page in both the URL and at the top of the page.  In this case I am listing 20
messages starting at the 100,117th message.  Of course the link from the LUGNET
home page is constantly refreshed as messages are added.

Using that number and some of the numbers from the tracking page and some
simple math and I was at least able to get close the the right day.  (I think I
was a few hours early which is not to bad for posting a week in advance).

So there you go one of my secrets have been revealed.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/