 Administrative / General / 4284
Re: Is it possible to sort searches by posting date?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 18:14:15 GMT

Ben said, in part...
yesterday.  I read Lugnet most often by just going to the main page and
clicking 5, 10 or 20 more to look at the recent messages.  It's a good way • to
read all of Lugnet and keep up with everything that has happened recently • in
the community.

yes it is.  I do both this *and* use a "real" newsreader - web to browse and
find interesting discussions in groups I don't normally read.  Just hangin'
out at the water cooler, if you will.

We'd like (eventually) to have some built-in way to have the messages that • you
want shown through the web.  I'd like to be able to log in and have an
interface very similar to what I see now, but filtered to the groups that • I
want.  For example, I'm not involved with the CAD community and I don't

see http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=4236 for similar (and apparently
shot-down) suggestions. I can imagine an "exclude" parameter to filter
particular groups and/or subject, a "since" parameter to only read back to a
certain date (all those wonderful parameter that VMS NOTES has, but that's a
different thread :-), and perhaps others.

I do understand, btw, with the "I'd rather see Todd and Suz spend time on
Lugnet-specific tasks" comments and wouldn't want to take time from "real"
work.  I also realize that all (or some or most, depending on your choice of
client) is available via a newsreader. There is always room for improvement,
though.

--
-Steven  "Nothin' But Net!"  http://svore.mindspring.com/
Buy on the web and want to save money? stop by