 Administrative / General / 4283
Re: Is it possible to sort searches by posting date?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 16:59:11 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:
Is it possible to sort searches by date? This would be good for
searching the market groups, where it is usually only the recent posts
that matter.

To answer your question, I think that you can not.  Todd would know for sure,
but I've tried and haven't been able to find a way.  That is with the web
interface though, since I'm sure that with a good news reader that you could do
this (but I don't know).  I see your point though because when you search, it
seems that you get the matches in a random (I know it's not) order.  Most
recent message would be better IMO.

Michael Hader and I were talking about something related to this just
yesterday.  I read Lugnet most often by just going to the main page and
clicking 5, 10 or 20 more to look at the recent messages.  It's a good way to
read all of Lugnet and keep up with everything that has happened recently in
the community.  The problem is, that sometimes Lugnet gets a lot of messages in
one day, or I go away for a weekend somewhere that doesn't have net access (I
know, I know, but I usually survive).  When I come back, there is no convenient
way to say "show me everything posted today", or "show me everything since two
days ago".  A news reader program would solve this, but it is so much easier to
read Lugnet through the web.  I wonder how many others read Lugnet this way.

We'd like (eventually) to have some built-in way to have the messages that you
want shown through the web.  I'd like to be able to log in and have an
interface very similar to what I see now, but filtered to the groups that I
want.  For example, I'm not involved with the CAD community and I don't
understand the posts in non-english speaking groups.  I'd like to have Lugnet
filter those out and only show me the groups that I'm "subscribed" to.  An
option to show only recent messages, with "recent" being user defined would be
great.

Just some thoughts,
Ben Roller