 Administrative / General / 4153
    Re: Specific problem: finding members - general conclusion: principle of least surprise needed on Lugnet —Allan Bedford
   Hi Larry, I don't normally like to disagree with fellow LUGNETer's, and I certainly don't want to start an arugument over this, but I do find myself drawn to respond to your curious comments. I doubt that it was your intention, but your comments (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Specific problem: finding members - general conclusion: principle of least surprise needed on Lugnet —Todd Lehman
   (...) I think Larry is absolutely right. It -ought- to work like that, in case someone happens to type that in if they can't find the page easily (say, they knew it was there and they'd been to it before, but they couldn't remember the URL (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Specific problem: finding members - general conclusion: principle of least surprise needed on Lugnet —Matthew Miller
     (...) Try <URL:(URL). (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Specific problem: finding members - general conclusion: principle of least surprise needed on Lugnet —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) I think you missed the point, Matt. (and Alan, you did too...) Todd isn't asking where to get stock quotes, he's elaborating on my example. For a high traffic website like Lugnet, that has a lot of areas to explore, it is a GOOD THING to put (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Specific problem: finding members - general conclusion: principle of least surprise needed on Lugnet —Matthew Miller
      (...) Actually I got the point; I was just going off on a tangent. I think Todd's "IIRC" was actually the non-plural version. (25 years ago, 14-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Specific problem: finding members - general conclusion: principle of least surprise needed on Lugnet —Allan Bedford
      Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote in article <FoAsq9.3z9@lugnet.com>... (...) quotes (...) to (...) I wasn't really worried about what was really being searched for with the quote.yahoo.com URL. In fact, I was using it as an example as well. (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Specific problem: finding members - general conclusion: principle of least surprise needed on Lugnet —Richard Franks
     (...) I agree that hotlinks are important for *all* users, but I also think having a well-designed URL structure is important for other types of users. Can't it provide hotlinks AND good design without sacrificing either? I dunno - I'm just a (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Specific problem: finding members - general conclusion: principle of least surprise needed on Lugnet —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) Yes. I think an important thing to remember is that a site should cater to as many segments of its audience as possible. The paradigm here is not that of your typical website. While I agree that one should be able to navigate to everywhere, (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Specific problem: finding members - general conclusion: principle of least surprise needed on Lugnet —Allan Bedford
   Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in article <Fo9Jz6.1q4@lugnet.com>... (...) few (...) almost (...) someone (...) Todd, my only question about this comment is: Are you then responsible to your visitors for always maintaining the same URL (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Specific problem: finding members - general conclusion: principle of least surprise needed on Lugnet —Frank Filz
     (...) Major sites should avoid re-structuring as much as possible, and should provide redirects when the structure changes. I am slowly building a set of LEGO reference pages. Because there is no guarantee that site structure won't change, I often (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Specific problem: finding members - general conclusion: principle of least surprise needed on Lugnet —Todd Lehman
   (...) I just added an auto-forward from /clsotw/ to /cool/. The reason it's /cool/, BTW, and not /clsotw/, is for (a) future expansion to other time periods (day, month, year, etc.) and (b) for future expansion to a discussion area for cool sites in (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)