 Administrative / General / 3192
3191  |  3193
Subject:
White text on webpages considered harmful or safe? (was: Re: Blind to icons)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 06:27:14 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kevin Loch writes:
but I've been a bit hesitant to make widespread use of them without better
understanding customized color settings in web browsers.  I seem to recall
someone (I think it was Tom Stangl) once long ago fervently denouncing the
use of white text on web pages.

White text in graphics is ok, but white fonts are unprintable, and
that irritates some people alot.

Is white text always unprintable?  Whenever I print a page with text in a
table with its BGCOLOR set, it comes out great.

Workie:

   <TABLE ... BGCOLOR="#000000"><TR><TD>
     <FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">foo foo foo</FONT>
   </TD></TR></TABLE>

No workie:

   <HTML><BODY BGCOLOR="#000000">
   <FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">foo foo foo</FONT>
   </BODY></HTML>

I'm sure it depends on the browser, but I think level-3 versions of NN & MSIE
both handle printing BGCOLOR in tables correctly.

--Todd