 Administrative / General / 2895
Re: Blind to icons
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 20:35:48 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:
Steve Bliss <blisses@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
(BTW, the CLSotW graphic is very nicely done, Todd!)

Very nicely.

Great!--glad you like it.  BTW, here is a larger version of it, from an
unfinished layout experiment last December (1998)...

   http://www.lugnet.com/cool/makeover/

Do you think it's too big?  On that page, it's 197x197 pixels and 15530 bytes.
For comparison, the current CLSotW title image at

   http://www.lugnet.com/cool/

is 422x94 pixels and only 5120 bytes (1/3 the file size), but then the page
also includes four other label images down the left edge which together chew
up additional 44702 pixels and 7577 bytes.  The net tradeoff is 50% fewer
pixels (good), but 20% more bytes (not good, but maybe not so bad).

The dark horizontal bars in the right column, BTW, are also seen on the 1999
catalog page that went up in early December last year,

   http://www.lugnet.com/1999/

but I've been a bit hesitant to make widespread use of them without better
understanding customized color settings in web browsers.  I seem to recall
someone (I think it was Tom Stangl) once long ago fervently denouncing the
use of white text on web pages.

--Todd