 Administrative / General / 2724
2723  |  2725
Subject:
Blind to icons
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 21:25:50 GMT

Todd,

I have made a rather startling discovery in myself, and I wonder if I'm alone.

For the longest time, I was wondering why the Cool LEGO Site of the Week page
wasn't linked to from the main LUGNET page.  Obviously, I wasn't too bothered
by this to even *read* the whole page or scan the HTML for /cool/-- so it
wasn't even a nagging curiosity, really.

But today, the monolith spoke to me and my eyes were opened, and *BAM* there
it is in the section marked "Links & Resources".  And now that I see it, I'll
always see it now.

But why didn't I see it before?  (Assuming we leave laziness out of this...)
It has an icon instead of text for the anchor.  It's funny -- I'm wired to
interpret a colored, underlined piece of text to indicate a link than a
graphic.  Sure enough, the majority of links on the main page are text, and
only 2/3 of the (flashy, obvious) images are links.

So, I wonder if I'm alone in this?  Does anyone else prefer text links?

Cheers,
- jsproat