 Administrative / General / 3108
Re: Group to discuss Teaching Lego Robotics?? lugnet.robotics.teaching ???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:43:03 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Chris Phillips <chris.phillips@computerboards.com>
writes:

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Todd Lehman writes:
...snip...
I'm 100% for it -- except for the word "teaching."  Here's why:  I've always
thought of "teaching" as "instructing" or the "pushing" of knowledge, while
I've always thought of "learning" as the "discovering" or "pulling" of
knowledge.  As much as I believe that people generally love to learn things,
I don't believe that people generally love to be "taught" things.

(Does that make any sense?  Feel free to disagree!)
...snip...

This is a brilliant insight.  I am not a "teacher" by trade (I also have the
title "Engineer" tattooed across my cranium) but I have had many opportunities
to teach small classes on various topics.  It took me awhile to discover that
trying to "push" information at students doesn't work.  You have to get them
interested in wanting to do something, and then get out of their way and let
them do it for themselves.  That is the best (only?) way to teach the critical
thought processes that can carry the student beyond the protective shell of the
classroom.

Failure to grasp this single Truth is what is wrong with the conventional
education system as we know it, in my opinion.

I think major areas of education will [have to] end up going through the
same push->pull revolution that traditional media have begun to go through
in recent years.

Pushing television shows, commercials, movies -- and especially news -- in
prepackaged easy-to-swallow doses and timespots only goes so far...  Now
with the Web, people are discovering that they can Pull that information
_to_ them _when_ they're ready for it and _how_ they want it, instead of
having it shoved (or shoveled :) _at_ them whether they're ready for it or
not.  Both paradigms are desirable in moderation, but which way to choose
ultimately has to be up to the consumer/learner, not to the producer/
teacher if the larger "economy" of information/education is to reach its
full potential.

Not that there's anything wrong with being a "teacher" or a "professor" but
I think labels more appropriate to the future are words like "mentor" and
"guide."

--Todd