 Administrative / General / 2841
Re: Limiting quotations?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 21:22:18 GMT

Todd:

[ Example: http://www.lugnet.com/trains/?n=2111 ]

OK, that's what I thought you meant.  But didn't someone a few months back
mention that there were a few miscreant newsreaders or mailers out there
which wouldn't let people post the right way?

IIRC, the problem was that the newsreaders/mailers in
question induces people to write badly formed posts.

While I agree that preventing stuff like that would be nice (if possible),
I think it would only take people about 5 seconds to learn how to circumvent
it the wrong way -- say, by putting a dot or an 'x' at the very bottom
rather than actually fixing the quoting problem.  Automatic sigs would
probably also circumvent it, assuming that it only checked the last non-
empty line...

I thought about how simple it is to circumvent the test, but
it is always a good start, if you can get people to
recognise that somebody dislikes their behaviour. It might
even make sense to tell people how to circumvent the filter,
_if_ the really want to do what they tried to do.

Play well,

Jacob

      --  E-mail:        sparre@cats.nbi.dk         --
      --  Web...:  <URL:http://www.ldraw.org/FAQ/>  --