 Administrative / General / 2651
Re: NO auction updates in non-auction groups (was: Re: FA : Soccers sets + much much more)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 05:33:18 GMT

Naji Norder <n.norder@computer.org> wrote:
Any message with an apparent URL corresponding to any of the well known
auction sites will be filtered from any group other than
lugnet.market.auction and lugnet.market.theory

This would filter every post from Mike Stanley, as his well known auction site
is listed in his sig (unless "well known auction sites" is supposed to just
mean eBay).  Even if eBay is the only intented target, there is no reason why
someone couldn't put a link to their eBay page in their sig, in the fashion of:

[start sig]
Great Lego, Great Prices:
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=madeup
[end sig]

Yup, that propose filter wouldn't work for both of those reasons.

I KNOW I'm ok with posting a link to my (2) auctions sites in my sig -
mainly because I wouldn't do it for so long in anything but .auction,
then was told it was ok.  So I doubt that a filter would be created to
wax my posts, unless, of course, the filter were smart enough to scan
for the beginning of a sig and ignore everything after.

And if I'm allowed to leave a reference to JABA (and now BRICKS as
well) in my sig, I see no reason why someone else shouldn't be allowed
to have a reference to their MyeBay page (or whatever they call it) in
their sig.

--
The pieces you want and nothing else - easy online bidding!
Sure, you could pay someone to run your LEGO auction.