 Administrative / General / 2650
Re: Jonathan Wilson's posting privileges on LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 02:10:38 GMT

At 04:00 AM 8/19/99 GMT, you wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Jonathan Wilson <wilsonj@xoommail.com> writes:

Bram Lambrecht wrote:
That shouldn't keep you from signing your messages.  When posting from
the web interface, I sign by adding "--Bram" to the end.  If I'm
emailing, I use a complete signature.  There's nothing stopping you from
typing your name at then end of a message the same way you would sign a
letter.
--Bram

  Aaah. now I see
Like this:
JW

Heh.  Well I think Bram might've been suggesting was more like this:

  --Jonathan

When he said, "the same way you would sign a letter," he meant a written
letter, not signing with letters.  (I think.  :-)

--Todd

I wonder if anyone else watching from the sidelines is finding this as
absurd as I am?

Insisting on how someone should sign their postings? (if at all).

Any messages I get in Eudora clearly indicate who they are from before I
even open them.
Thus, I already know which ones are from Jonathan.
The headers to his postings clearly identify him, and his email address.

Some lists discourage the use of signature blocks at all, as being a waste
of bandwidth.

And then Jonathan complies, in his own way (and surely each of us is
entitled to decide on our own signature, even if it's only an initial),
only to be told that's not good enough, we want you to call yourself this
"--Jonathan".

The mob is going too far! Enough!

RL