 Administrative / General / 2399
Re: Traffic Page Problem with Netscape Communicator 4.6
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:12:48 GMT

Eric Kingsley <kingsley@nelug.nospam.org> wrote:
Just thought I would let you know.  I also use IE 4.01 and it looks fine.  I
assume it is just something with the latest version of Communicator.

Yeah, I'm almost 100.00% positive that it's a browser bug.  :-(

More info:  http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=2309&t=i&v=a

--Todd

Thanks Todd,

After closing some things down and freeing up some resources it seems to fix
the problem.  Wierd!  I love how no matter how much we try and standardize
nothing ever seems to work conistantly across competing products.  (Thanks
Bill!!)  ;P

Wow, talk about gratuitous MS bashing.

So it WORKS in Internet Explorer but it's BROKE in Communicator.

Seems to me there are 3 groups of people you could choose to blame for
something like this in general, with probably only 2 of them being
legitimately involved in the process.

The people who make the pages - that'd be Todd.
The people who make the browser that can't show them correctly.
The people who make the browser that can show them correctly.

Now placing blame at the feet of the company making the broke product
seems like a sensible thing no matter what.

Given Todd's anti-MS leanings, though, I can't imagine him sitting
down and saying, "you know, IE supports this weird non-standard
doohikey but Communicator doesn't - I think I'll write a page that
showcases that fact."  So I can't see blaming him for Communicator's
deficiencies.

Still working on that leap of (il)logic that you'd need to assign
blame to Bill (Gates) for this one.

I had Communicator crash on a Mac I was using the other day.  Thanks,
Bill!

--
The pieces you want and nothing else - easy online bidding!
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)