 Administrative / General / 2082
  Re: member id's: simple numbers or something more?

(...) Oh, believe me, I *have* looked at it...! :-) Been seriously looking at this on and off for years... (...) The gray areas I'm thinking of aren't so much the offensive or vulgar things (although I'm sure there are some things which are both (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general)

  Re: member id's: simple numbers or something more?

(...) Oh! Oh! I can explain this one! My last name is pronounced muh-JEH-skee, but people always say muh-JOOS-kee, which led to the nickname Juice for me. Also, my favorite color is orange which led some people to call me Orange Juice, which let to (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general)

  Re: member id's: simple numbers or something more?

(...) Hey, that's a pretty great story! It's always fun to hear how nicknames come about. (...) Well, keep in mind, the goal here is to discourage (in a mechanical way) general "aliases" or "handles" or "screen names." You probably wouldn't be able (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general)

  Re: member id's: simple numbers or something more?

(...) No, my father's first name is Michael and he is the one who registered our internet service. With my service, you can only have one "name," so it has always been Mmaje for me until I registered with Yahoo!, but even then when I posted to RTL, (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general)

  Phonetics for "LUGNET" trademark and member IDs (was Re: member id's: simple numbers or something mo

This isn't a complaint, just a suggestion. If you're going to try to spell phonetics you should adopt a technically precise notation. For example, you said: (...) It's not at all clear whether you intend your syllable "MUHK" to rhyme with "book" or (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general)

  Re: Phonetics for "LUGNET" trademark and member IDs (was Re: member id's: simple numbers or something mo

(...) Excellent! OK, by SAMPA, it would yup definitely be /lVg" net/ (thanks!). (And, BTW, I had heard of a "glottal stop" before, but I never knew there was such a thing as a "nasal sonorant" or a "bilabial fricative"! I'm thinkin' TomMcD and (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general)

  phonetics

(...) Hmm. Y'know, you're right! -- I should've simply written MUCK. By MUHK, I was trying to get the "uh" sound. I'm no phoneticist! :) Anyway, so his last named is actually pronounced MUCK-ow, but we incorrectly pronounced it MOO-kow (or MUKE-ow), (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Phonetics for "LUGNET" trademark and member IDs (was Re: member id's: simple numbers or something mo

(...) I don't actually know a sonorant from a fricative either, aside from what I can figure out by looking at the examples. But if Tom and Jeremy are into linguistics they probably already know more about it than we do {-; (...) You can use it if (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Phonetics for "LUGNET" trademark and member IDs (was Re: member id's: simple numbers or something mo

(...) Fortunately, you don't expect me to pass this one up. (...) That's okay. It's a little-known fact that a sonorant is the high-pitched sqawking sound made by someone rapidly applying a rubber eraser to a pencil mark on a shaky metal table. (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  sonorants and fricatives

(...) LOL!!! I'm laughing so hard I can hardly breathe. God, what I would give for a daily word-definition like that by e-mail in the morning, or an "Ask Jeremy" box on a web page where you could ask what a word meant. :) --Todd (25 years ago, 29-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Phonetics for "LUGNET" trademark and member IDs (was Re: member id's: simple numbers or something mo

(...) It's a "smart-ass thing" actually. (...) can (...) The first table-joint lubricant, made largely of walrus fat oil and safflower extract, was called "Dr. Numba's Anti-Sonorant Potion". Dr. Numba was an alias of a former carpet-bagger turned (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Phonetics for "LUGNET" trademark and member IDs (was Re: member id's: simple numbers or something mo

(...) Avid "Northern Exposure" fans might recall that a bilabial fricative refers to the state of mind one achieves while awaiting an answer from an Athapascan spirit while consming bilibiatho (1) blowing in from Inuit grounds. Cheers, - jsproat 1. (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Phonetics for "LUGNET" trademark and member IDs (was Re: member id's: simple numbers or something mo

(...) I assumed Todd *did* mean 'MUHK' to rhyme with 'muck'. I didn't think about it at the time, but 'UH' doesn't look much like it should be pronounced like the sounds in either "book" or "fluke". Steve (25 years ago, 29-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general)

  Re: Phonetics for "LUGNET" trademark and member IDs (was Re: member id's: simple numbers or something mo

(...) Hostess Sno-balls are good example of the usage of this substance. -Tom McD. when replying, little wedge-shaped spamcakes make good climbing pitons. (25 years ago, 29-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Phonetics for "LUGNET" trademark and member IDs (was Re: member id's: simple numbers or something mo

(...) That's essentially the problem with colloquial phonetic spelling -- there are two methods. Some people (like me) use existing words whenever existing words are available: Todd: "TODD", Lugnet: "LUG-net", Steve: "STEVE", phonetic: (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  O vs WO vs AH

(...) Hey, how close is that to TWOD? (I gather that's the native-East-Coast way to pronounce it -- similar to BWOS'-tin. :) Where I grew up (Minneapolis) it's pronounced TAHD, but not quite the nasal TAAHHHD that they say in Milwaukee and Chicago. (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: O vs WO vs AH

Todd Lehman wrote in message <37a0e8e2.108331275@...et.com>... (...) Is the east coast you refer to the upper part of maine? I never heard it pronounced like that. (...) (25 years ago, 31-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: O vs WO vs AH

(...) Ah, a great mystery of life has become revealed. Now I understand Todd's attraction to LEGO. Being from Mininoplace, he naturally took to minifigs. :') (25 years ago, 2-Aug-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)