 Off-Topic / Fun / 2394
Re: Phonetics for "LUGNET" trademark and member IDs (was Re: member id's: simple numbers or something mo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:47:35 GMT

Robert Munafo wrote:
I never knew there was such a thing as a "nasal sonorant" or a
"bilabial fricative"!  I'm thinkin' TomMcD and JeremyS will be
themselves a fine time checking this SAMPA stuff out.  :-)

Fortunately, you don't expect me to pass this one up.

I don't actually know a sonorant from a fricative either, aside from what I can
figure out by looking at the examples.

That's okay.  It's a little-known fact that a sonorant is the high-pitched
sqawking sound made by someone rapidly applying a rubber eraser to a pencil
mark on a shaky metal table.  Usage of this word was not uncommon until
about the 19th century, when its popularity eventually died down; the
emergence of table joint lubricant at this time is most probably a
coincidence.

As for the fricative, that's simply the blue rubber gasket on your car's
turn signal reservoir, sealing the connection where the reservoir delivers
fluid into the fribillator.

Cheers,
- jsproat

--