 Administrative / General / 2326
Re: Phonetics for "LUGNET" trademark and member IDs (was Re: member id's: simple numbers or something mo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 22:42:30 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "Robert Munafo" <munafo@gcctech.com> writes:

[...]
Anyway, if you want something better, check the simplified English SAMPA code,
described on my web page:

   http://www.mrob.com/sampa.html

and a more authoritative source:

   http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/home.htm

Examples: "moo-cow" would be /mu:" kaU/ and "LUGNET" is /lVg" net/.

Excellent!  OK, by SAMPA, it would yup definitely be /lVg" net/ (thanks!).

(And, BTW, I had heard of a "glottal stop" before, but I never knew there
was such a thing as a "nasal sonorant" or a "bilabial fricative"!  I'm
thinkin' TomMcD and JeremyS will be themselves a fine time checking this
SAMPA stuff out.  :-)

--Todd

p.s.  Hey, so SAMPA is something that anyone can use to say how their name
is pronounced too then, eh?  Do you pronounce Munafo as /m@ nQ" f@U%/?