 Administrative / General / 1986
  New site stuff

Been meaning to comment on this for a couple days. I think the new site design is really good. It looks great, things are very intuitive, and it seems like all the bumps are being smoothed over quickly and everything is evolving wonderfully. I have (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New site stuff

(...) Thanks for the nice comments. (...) Thought about that a lot during the design and testing process, so I know what you mean. The top blue band (the "toolbar" or whatever you want to call it) is there for several reasons: 1) Over time it'll (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New site stuff

(...) There's one other important thing... The homepage, as a whole, is a compromise between pure utilitarianism and a traditional frienly homepage. Ideally, the first time you ever wander in and see the site, the homepage would look much different (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New site stuff

(...) Why not have two home pages, index.html which would be the friendly one, with a link at the bottom to the "power" home page, home.html or power.html? Sounds like a good idea. (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New site stuff

(...) I think that could get us part of the way there, but I think it also creates additional problems. If there were two highly visible URLs for the homepage, then: 1. Experienced/power users would have to click that link each time they wanted the (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New site stuff

Todd Lehman wrote in message ... (...) Couldn't you use a cookie to determine which "home" page a user wanted? Default/no cookie = (URL) set = (URL) (or whatever) Mike (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New site stuff

(...) Yup, that's exactly how it'll be accomplished. Except there only needs to be one URL (not two), and the code running at that URL (will) looks and sees what the user prefers and decide on-the-fly what to display. But since the cookie has to be (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)