 Administrative / General / 1765
  Howto message search with nntp client

Todd, I am using Netscape Communicator 4.5 as my nntp client. One feature I haven't been able to figure out how to use is the newsgroup message search. After the "Cylon Eye" progress indicator runs for about half a minute, I get back the error (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jun-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Howto message search with nntp client

(...) Oops, the search text was indeed transmitted. BTW, RFC 0997 mentions no command "XPAT", so I don't know where Netscape Communicator got *that* from. Perhaps Microsoft isn't the only company trying to redefine the Internet. :-P Cheers, - (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jun-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Howto message search with nntp client

(...) This might work for a one-shot thing, but in general it'd probably be easier to use the Web interface search page. I found what I was looking for there (Steve's UFO hull mock-up.) It'd probably be incredibly huge, anyway, neh? Cheers, - (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jun-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Howto message search with nntp client

(...) From what you showed in your conversation-log, it looks like that is correct. (...) I don't think it is, but I'm not sure. At the very least, it's either a standard NNTP extension or a non-standard NNTP extension. Probably once was a (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jun-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Howto message search with nntp client

(...) NNTP (and SMTP and many other Internet protocols) are designed in such a way that extensions are welcomed -- as long as (typically) they're identified as such. For example, another NNTP extension which is popular is the 'XOVER' command -- it (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jun-99, to lugnet.admin.general)