 Administrative / General / 1765
1764  |  1766
Subject:
Howto message search with nntp client
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 19:29:29 GMT

Todd,

I am using Netscape Communicator 4.5 as my nntp client.  One feature I
haven't been able to figure out how to use is the newsgroup message search.
After the "Cylon Eye" progress indicator runs for about half a minute, I get
back the error message "A News (NNTP) error occurred: Command
unrecognized."  There were no results from the search.  The packet trace
indicates that the text I was searching for was never transmitted.

Is this feature something not implemented on the server side?  Is it even
standard nntp?

Sniffer Pro (1) reports the following conversation:

LUGNET:  200 lugnet.com NNTP[auth] server version 1.5.12.2 (9 Jan 1996)
ready at Fri Jun  4 15:05:21 1999 (posting ok)

JSPROAT: MODE READER

LUGNET:  200 OK

JSPROAT: LIST EXTENSIONS

LUGNET:  501 Usage: LIST
[ACTIVE|NEWSGROUPS|DISTRIBUTIONS|SUBSCRIPTIONS|ACTIVE.TIMES]

JSPROAT: GROUP lugnet.cad.dat

LUGNET:  211 257 1 273 lugnet.cad.dat

JSPROAT: XPAT SUBJECT 1- *[Uu][Ff][Oo]*

LUGNET:  500 Command unrecognized.

JSPROAT: QUIT

LUGNET:  205 lugnet.com closing connection.  Goodbye...

I'm fairly clueless about nntp on this level.  At a guess, the Netscape nntp
client hit two snags.  The first is then it tried the command "LIST
EXTENSIONS", and the second is that funky "XPAT SUBJECT 1- *[Uu][Ff][Oo]*".

Any ideas?

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Has a nice GUI, and a really a nice packet decoder, but it's a pain to
build useful packet logs.  Do you know of a freeware command-line sniffer,
or something that can dump to STDOUT?

Darth Maul Lives