 Administrative / General / 1622
Re: Traffic Error
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 03:23:23 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Tom McDonald writes:
Today about 2:25 pm PDT I noticed things had gone "All Quiet" on the
traffic page. But about 10 minutes later, I reloaded the page and it gave
me at least 7 starwars messages as well a smattering of messages (all
less than 7) from few other groups as being posted within the last hour.
I checked to see if they were new, even though their red numbers were not
blazingly red, and noted that I had read them before.

This reminds me, the traffic page is going to be acting funny for the next
hour or so, and then again in about 8 hours and then 16 hours and then 2 days.
After a week it ought to be fine again.

The reason for this is due to the 45-minute downtime we just experienced,
which means that there are missing log entries in the chrono-snapshots of
the article counts.

I neglected to design the traffic page script to take outages into account,
so whenever it looks back in time to look up the old counts (it needs these
to subtract from the current counts), it'll find a big blank hole there and
give up.  (It -should- be smarter -- it should walk backwards in time to the
next checkpoint, or repair the holes and then look in the right spot.)

Someday, I'll fix this.  Just wanted to make people aware of it...  It's
pretty minor.

--Todd