 Administrative / General / 1621
1620  |  1622
Subject:
Service interruptions - 11 May 99
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 04:05:16 GMT

I posted this to rec.toys.lego about 20 minutes ago...

I apologize for the short notice on this.  You may experience connection
problems or interruption of service tonight (11 May 99) when connecting to
lugnet.com.  Pair Networks, the ISP where lugnet.com is colocated, in the
process of upgrading their core internal network today, is having a bit of
problems which seem to be resulting in periods of unpredictable speed bumps
and connectivity drops, particularly through the UUnet backbone.  They first
noticed this problem about 6 hours ago but I didn't become aware of it it
until just about a half hour ago when I noticed a connection problem to
lugnet.com.

More info:
  http://support.pair.com/notices/
  http://support.pair.com/notices/network.html

'traceroute' and 'ping' running on machines in Maryland and Minnesota are
reporting timeouts, which is consistent with what Pair Tech Support is
seeing as symptoms.  So there is a 99.99% chance that the server is up &
running just fine, but it just can't talk with the outside during this
upgrade.

Again, I apologize for the short notice and further for any problems you
may encounter tonight.  I think Pair will have the problem diagnosed and
fixed within the next 24 hours, hopefully much sooner.

Good news,

Things now seem to be back up & running fine (of course there -could- still
be further turbulence tonight).

I'll have to tune in to the local pair newsgroups later tonight to find out
exactly what transpired, but one thing I do know from looking at the server
logs is that lugnet.com either went down or was shut down at 10:00 pm EST
(about 1 hour ago) and came back up again at 10:45 pm EST.

So right now, the server says it's been up & awake for about 15-20 minutes.
(Prior to 10:00 tonight, it had been running continuously for ~190 days.)

10 people are now re-connected via NNTP and the HTTP server is running too.

So if there aren't any more network connection problems, everything should
be back to normal.  I apologize if for any inconvenience this has caused.

--Todd