 Administrative / General / 1423
Re: Uh Oh... (was Traffic Error )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 22:34:52 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, radiotitan@yahoo.com (Tom McDonald) writes:
Question...

The article headers show that these were both sent through the web
interface.  Is there any way that you might have accidentally pressed the
Post Message button a second time on the form?  Every couple of days,
someone does this, but it's usually seconds or minutes apart, not 5 hours.
Due to the way CGI works, I can't imagine any scenario where anything but
this could have happened....  (?)

I initially thought that as well, and my inital answer is no. Yet I'm
willing to just say I goofed and did though I don't recall doing so. Suffice
it to say that spending 5 continual hours on this machine (I even logged out
and back in that day during my stint on this machine) is very not likely.

I had typed out a big long thing about my schedule and my workday and why
it couldn't possibly be MY fault :) but I'm just gonna let it go. You and
me got bigger ninja carp to fry here.

But if you don't want to let this go, I'll be happy to answer questions.

I don't want to let something go that might conceivably be a bug somewhere.
That wouldn't be good.  Someone (...or...some...thing ;) caused the server
to repost the message a second time.  Unless there is some really horrible
strange bug somewhere, the only way this could happen is if the server was
explicitly asked to do so by a client (browser).

Your first message is dated Sat, 17 Apr 1999 00:28:10 GMT, and the second is
dated Sat, 17 Apr 1999 05:34:07 GMT.  In local time (EDT) these are shifted
back 4 hours.  Looking at the webserver logs, here's where the first one
shows up:

   IP Addr: 199.174.96.18